CANBERRA, Australia (GDC) — Australia has accelerated plans to buy long-range strike missiles years ahead of schedule because of growing threats posed by Russia and China.
Defense Minister Peter Dutton said Tuesday the accelerated rearming of fighter jets and warships would cost 3.5 billion Australian dollars ($2.6 billion) and increase Australia’s deterrence to potential adversaries.
The country’s Minister of Defence Peter Dutton has revealed that defence will accelerate the acquisition of:
- the Joint Air-to-Surface Standoff Missile Extended Range (JASSM-ER) for the Royal Australian Air Force;
- the Naval Strike Missile (NSM) for the Royal Australian Navy’s surface fleet; and
- maritime mines to secure Australia’s ports and maritime approaches.
“There was a working assumption that an act of aggression by China toward Taiwan might take place in the 2040s. I think that timeline now has been dramatically compressed,” Dutton told Seven Network television.
“When we look at what’s happened in Ukraine, there is the prospect of Russian going into Poland or somewhere else in Europe. That would be a repeat of the 1930s and that’s not something that we should allow to happen,” Dutton added, referring to the beginning of World War II.
Under a revised timetable, FA-18F Super Hornet fighter jets would be armed with improved U.S.-manufactured air-to-surface missiles by 2024, three years earlier than planned.
The JASSM-ER missiles would enable fighters to engage targets at a range of 900 kilometers (560 miles).
Australia’s ANZAC Class frigates and Hobart Class destroyers would be equipped with Norwegian-made Kongsberg NSM missiles by 2024, five years ahead of schedule.
Australian Anzac-class frigates went through upgrade programs, including the Midlife Capability Upgrade Program. Under the $2 billion program, the improvements were carried out on the vessels’ engines, propulsion, lighting, heating, cooling and communications systems, torpedo self-defence, and Nulka enhancements. Recently, the frigates were also upgraded with new advanced radar systems.
Earlier on, the Australian Government announced that it will invest up to $5.1 billion in upgrades for the Hobart-class destroyers.
The missiles would more than double the warships’ strike range.
The new rearmament timetable comes after the Solomon Islands announced a draft security pact with China. Under its terms, China could send military personnel to the South Pacific islands to help maintain order and for other reasons. It could also send warships to the Solomons for stopovers and to replenish supplies, which had led to speculation about the possibility of a Chinese naval base there.
China has denied seeking a military foothold in the islands and accused others of raising tensions.
U.S. Pacific Fleet Commander Samuel Paparo told reporters in Washington on Monday the Solomons-China pact was “very concerning.”
“I’m undoubtedly concerned … and it’s a concern for all of our partners throughout the western Pacific and notably Australia and New Zealand,” Paparo told Australian Broadcasting Corp.
Anne-Marie Brady, global fellow at the Woodrow Wilson Center in Washington and professor in politics at the University of Canterbury in New Zealand said a hostile power in control of the Solomons would have a direct impact on sea lanes linking South Pacific states.
“There is no justification for China establishing a military presence in the Solomon Islands,” Brady said.
“It is meant to cut off Australia and New Zealand from U.S. military support. … It is both an immediate and long-term threat,” she added.
© 2022, GDC. © GDC and www.globaldefensecorp.com. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to www.globaldefensecorp.com with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.