Washington DC (GDC) -The US State Department reported that Beijing may have conducted secret low-level underground nuclear tests, learned GDC quoting Wall Street Journal.
Foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian told reporters on Thursday that China has been actively fulfilling commitments to treaties on arms control, and said Washington’s false accusations are not worth refuting.
“China has always adopted a responsible attitude, earnestly fulfilling the international obligations and promises it has assumed,” he said.
The State Department’s claim, first reported by the Wall Street Journal, may worsen ties already strained by US charges that the global COVID-19 pandemic resulted from Beijing’s mishandling of the 2019 outbreak of the coronavirus in the city of Wuhan.
US concerns about Beijing’s possible breaches of a “zero-yield” standard for test blasts have been prompted by activities at China’s Lop Nur nuclear test site throughout 2019, the State Department report said.
Zero yield refers to a nuclear test in which there is no explosive chain reaction of the type ignited by the detonation of a nuclear warhead.
“China’s possible preparation to operate its Lop Nur test site year-round, its use of explosive containment chambers, extensive excavation activities at Lop Nur, and a lack of transparency on its nuclear testing activities … raise concerns regarding its adherence to the zero yield standard,” the report said, without providing evidence of a low-yield test.
Beijing’s lack of transparency included blocking data transmissions from sensors linked to a monitoring centre operated by the international agency that verifies compliance with a treaty banning nuclear test explosions.
The 1996 Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty (CTBT) allows activities designed to ensure the safety of nuclear weapons.
A spokeswoman for the CTBT organization, which verifies compliance with the pact, told the Wall Street Journal there had been no interruptions in data transmissions from China’s five sensor stations since the end of August 2019, following an interruption that began in 2018.
Chinese Testing Activities
A senior US official said the concerns about China’s testing activities buttressed President Donald Trump’s case for getting China to join the US and Russia in talks on an arms control accord to replace the 2010 New START treaty between Washington and Moscow that expires in February.
New START restricted the US and Russia to deploying no more than 1,550 nuclear warheads, the lowest level in decades, and limited the land and submarine-based missiles and bombers that deliver them.
“The pace and manner by which the Chinese government is modernising its stockpile is worrying, destabilising and illustrates why China should be brought into the global arms control framework,” said the senior US official on condition of anonymity.
China, estimated to have about 300 nuclear weapons, has repeatedly rejected Trump’s proposal, arguing its nuclear force is defensive and poses no threat.
Russia, France and Britain – three of the world’s five internationally recognised nuclear powers – signed and ratified the CTBT, which still requires ratification by 44 countries to become international law.
China had not ratified the CTBT, but China has declared its adherence to its terms, while the US has observed a unilateral testing moratorium since 1992.
© 2020, GDC. © GDC and www.globaldefensecorp.com. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to www.globaldefensecorp.com with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
Be the first to comment