Poland will train Ukrainian military unit living in Poland

Poland plans to train a military unit composed of conscription-age Ukrainians living in the country, the Polish foreign ministry has revealed.

Speaking at a meeting of NATO foreign ministers in Prague, Radosław Sikorski was asked if it was possible that NATO troops, including Polish ones, could be posted to Ukraine.

“Poland considered the Ukrainian request regarding training, but we came to the conclusion that it would be safer and more efficient to train a Ukrainian unit composed of Ukrainians in Poland who are subject to conscription into the Ukrainian army,” said Sikorski.

He did not reveal any further details regarding the plans.

In February this year, Poland’s Office for Foreigners (UdSC), a state body, published data showing that around 950,000 Ukrainians are in Poland as refugees while a further 536,000 have temporary or long-term residence permits

Among those with refugee status, 63% are women and children, said UdSC at the time. It did not reveal the age composition of the remaining 37% consisting of adult men, nor any demographic details of the Ukrainians with residence permits.

Last month, Poland’s defence minister, Władysław Kosiniak-Kamysz, said that the Polish government was ready to help Ukraine bring back men who are subject to compulsory military service but are living in Poland.

Since Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine in 2022, Poland has been among Kyiv’s closest allies, providing humanitarian, military, financial and diplomatic support.

That policy, begun under the previous Law and Justice (PiS) government, has continued under the new administration led by Donald Tusk that took power in December 2023.

Earlier this week, Sikorski commented on reports that Poland was among NATO countries considering sending its own troops to Ukraine. He said that the idea “should not be ruled out”.

Notes from Poland is run by a small editorial team and published by an independent, non-profit foundation that is funded through donations from our readers. We cannot do what we do without your support.

“We are dealing with hybrid warfare aimed at destabilising the Polish state and all of Europe,” says Donald Tusk.

© 2024, GDC. © GDC and www.globaldefensecorp.com. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to www.globaldefensecorp.com with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.