Australia condemns China’s claim of the South China Sea

Australia says China’s claims to disputed islands are ‘invalid’ and are not consistent with UN convention on law of the sea.

Australia has declared “there is no legal basis” to China’s territorial and maritime claims in the South China Sea, marking an escalation of recent tensions with Beijing and bringing Canberra further in line with Washington.

The Chinese Navy ‘confronted’ the Australian Navy in the South China Sea (SCS). The confrontation took place last week near the Spratly Islands at a time of heightened diplomatic tensions between Australia and China.

The declaration, made in a submission to the United Nations on Thursday, comes after the United States hardened its position earlier this month, accusing Beijing of a “completely unlawful … campaign of bullying” to control the sea.

Australia’s shift in position comes as Australia’s foreign affairs minister, Marise Payne, and the defence minister, Linda Reynolds, prepare to travel to Washington next week to meet with the US secretary of state, Mike Pompeo, and the secretary of defence, Mark Esper, for the 2020 Australia-United States Ministerial Consultations (Ausmin).

From left, HMA Ships Canberra, Choules and Adelaide sail in formation during Force Integration Training off the east coast of Australia.

The declaration to the UN said: “Australia rejects China’s claim to ‘historic rights’ or ‘maritime rights and interests’ as established in the ‘long course of historical practice’ in the South China Sea.”

Australia’s declaration mentioned the objections and complaints held by the Philippines, Vietnam and Malaysia in regards to Beijing’s actions in the South China Sea, and “rejects” the validity of “land building activities” used to create artificial islands.South China Sea: Australian warships encounter Chinese navy in disputed waters.

HMAS Canberra (L02), a Royal Australian Navy landing helicopter dock ship, arrives at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam for Rim of the Pacific 2016. Twenty-six nations, more than 40 ships and submarines, more than 200 aircraft and 25,000 personnel are participating in RIMPAC from June 30 to Aug. 4, in and around the Hawaiian Islands and Southern California.

The declaration said Australia does not accept China’s claim of sovereignty over the Paracel Islands and Spratly Islands, after Australian warships encountered China’s navy near the Spratly Islands earlier this month when taking part in drills with Japan and the United States in the Philippine Sea.

It notes “the Tribunal in the 2016 South China Sea Arbitral Award found these claims to be inconsistent with UNCLOS (United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea) and, to the extent of that inconsistency, invalid”.

“There is no legal basis for China to draw straight baselines connecting the outermost points of maritime features or ‘island groups’ in the South China Sea, including around the ‘Four Sha’ or ‘continental’ or ‘outlying’ archipelagos,” it said.

“Australia rejects any claims to internal waters, territorial sea, exclusive economic zone and continental shelf based on such straight baselines.

“Australia also rejects China’s claims to maritime zones generated by submerged features, or low-tide elevations in a manner inconsistent with UNCLOS. Land building activities or other forms of artificial transformation cannot change the classification of a feature under UNCLOS … the Australian government does not accept that artificially transformed features can ever acquire the status of an island.”

Read More   Type 054A Multi-mission Frigate
(L-R) Australia’s Defence Minister Linda Reynolds, Foreign Minister Marise Payne, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Secretary of Defence Mark Esper hold a press conference following the 30th AUSMIN on July 28, 2020, in Washington, DC. Picture: Brendan Smialowski/AFP Source: AFP

Earlier on Saturday, Payne and Reynolds said “discussions at Ausmin 2020 will centre on our shared efforts towards a stable, resilient, open, secure and prosperous Indo-Pacific, particularly in the context of the impact of Covid-19”.

“Our relationship is built on our shared values, and a shared understanding of the importance of maintaining presence and leadership in our region.

“In the face of an increasingly complex and contested regional environment, it is vital we continue working together across the breadth of our relationship.”

The joint statement also reiterated that “the United States remains by far Australia’s largest source of foreign investment”.

The ministers also wrote an opinion piece in Saturday’s the Australian newspaper noting “coercive actions in the South China Sea, such as the escalation of disputes and militarisation of disputed features, continue to create tensions that destabilises the region”.

The opposition leader, Anthony Albanese, said Australia needed to defend the “national interest” when asked about the change in position on Saturday morning.

“We also need to stand up for international law,” he said. “And the international law of the sea provides for freedom of navigation which is absolutely critical to international trade.”Australian farmers call for separation between foreign relations and trade ties with China.

Since then, China has issued a warning to its citizens, and lucrative international student market, not to travel to Australia out of fears of racism. In June, Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian accused Australia of mass espionage and of “stoking confrontation”.

Rising tensions have prompted Australian business leaders, who are worried further hostilities could damage exports to China, to call for a “separation of powers” between Australia’s foreign relations and trade ties.

Relations between Beijing and Canberra have hit rock bottom ever since Australia called for a Covid-19 inquiry. Irked, China retaliated by blocking beef imports from four abattoirs, imposing new customs requirements on Australia’s iron ore and levying a 40 percent tariff on Australia’s barley exports.

Since then, Australia and China have had a disagreement over new security law in Hong Kong. Canberra has offered to settle Hong Kongers leaving Hong Kong. In response, China has lashed out at Australia and warned of “huge impact” to the Australian economy, if the Government pushes ahead with a plan.

© 2020, GDC. © GDC and www.globaldefensecorp.com. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to www.globaldefensecorp.com with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.